The topic of immigration is incredibly complicated. Additionally, laws and policies have undergone numerous changes in recent months. If your congregation has activities with or for recent immigrants, learning more about laws and policies can be helpful.
By learning more about the history of immigration law, the structure of the current immigration legal system, and the actual process of obtaining a green card or other immigration benefits, your congregation will be empowered to create informed and educated perspectives on the issue of immigration.
Join Fort Wayne Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic Immigrant Outreach Attorney Laura Pontius as she presents a “bird’s eye view” of the immigration legal system, information about immigrants in northern Indiana, and reliable sources for non-partisan information on immigration law and policy. Pontius will also provide local and statewide resources for those wishing to support local immigrants as they navigate the complex legal system and daily life in America.
By the end of this luncheon, you will be able to:
- facilitate congregational conversations on the topic of immigration.
- work with your congregation to access information on the immigration legal system and use this information in strengthening ministries, discerning policy, and in discussion or advocacy regarding immigration matters.
- enable those within your congregation to connect with local and regional immigrant advocacy organizations as volunteers.
- equip your congregation to engage and respond in compassion to our immigrant neighbors.
- connect your congregation to the immigration community by partnering with local community resources in order to offer opportunities for immigrant neighbors to know their rights and receive legal assistance.
Laura Pontius is an immigration attorney in northern Indiana who has handled immigration cases for individuals, families, businesses, churches and nonprofits. In her role with the Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic, she provides “Know Your Rights” legal sessions for the immigrant community throughout northern Indiana, as well as legal educational seminars for the non-immigrant community.
This luncheon workshop is 11 a.m.-1 p.m. (Eastern time) Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at Peace Lutheran Church in Fort Wayne. The cost of the workshop is $10, which includes lunch, conversation and workshops materials.
How can you maximize your learning in this workshop and others? Check out this Center for Congregations article, "Getting the Most from an Education Event."